3 ways I'm still the weird foreigner in France.

|Not having a car|

The impossible is possible here in France although I won't say it's easy.  Try thinking about how you would live one week with out your car.  Now how do you get groceries, go to work, bring home that landscaping you wanted to get, get home after dinner with friends at 10:00?  You start to realize how dependent we are on our cars especially in the US.  When I came home the last time I realized just how odd you look if you don't have a car, just seeing someone walking along the side of the road is weird if not creepy.  Unlike the US however in France not having a car is do-able.  You can take a train or a bus, ride your bike or simply walk 20 minutes to get your groceries, making sure you make several small trips a week so as not to look like you're working on the chain gang with a large sack slung over your shoulder on your way home.  Might I say by not having a car over here not only do a save money and the hassle of paper work but my legs get a pretty good workout too.

 -This isn't to say that's it's normal in France, just like everywhere else having a car is the norm especially if you are in a small town or in a foreign language territory.  

|Going to a laundrymat|

No my appartment did not come with a washing machine👎🏼, so what's a girl to do.  I could buy and somehow find a way to get it delivered, install and pay for the electricity (my electricity bill is already a energivore) and water and laundry detergent and try to sell the thing in the end or you can go with the the creepy cousin version, laundrymats why are you always scary!  🎼'Creepy crawly....creepy crawly'-chumbawamba.  I actually found one that's not too bad over outside of my local grocery store, the detergent is hypoallergenic and included and I can shop while waiting on my clothes to wash.  Then I simply thow them in a bag, take them home to dry on my little baby drying rack.   

|Telling them that I need to convert measurements|

You can't just go around telling people it's 72F in Indiana, and the oven is usually set to 200C not 375F. You also basically can't use American recipes over here; try finding if not measuring out 2 1/2 sticks of butter, ¾ cup packed brown sugar, and 5oz can of sweetened condensed milk and you'll understand the frustration.  You start to learn how much honey you get when you pay for 500grams.  When they ask how heavy you are you just blink and stare blankly, when they ask how tall you are you turn and walk away.  I only know 'square footage' in housing terms in meters squared (my appartment is 35m2 if you wondered).  How big of a difference is the euro to the dollar really? You need to get some gas, it's around 1.12€ a liter so figure that out.  You've realized that you need slippers, dang it which size are you again 39?  And the bedspread again what was it 140x190 or 140x200...  What is the cut of meat most similar to chuck?  How many kilometers is it from here to Ft Wayne? [headache] Why don't you use the metric system? {headache}








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chitis Cuisine

What to do in the event your wallet is stolen

La CAF- or complaining enough to get some money from the government