One month aïe!

My dear friends I can now breath in this country called France.  My social security papers are filled out, my rental agreement is filled out, my bank account is up and running, my school paperwork is filled out, my medical visit is scheduled for next week, I have my school lunch cards, I have all my goods in order to save a few bucks (youth card, grocery store loyalty card, carnets for bus/metro), a French cell phone, etc etc.  I bought some panier bags for my bike to make it a real workhorse transportation vehicle.  I got some warm clothes, started really teaching and preparing lessons, I have two new return visits👍🏼 ok I'm told they might have been charmed by my accent so what?  I know when the trash gets picked up, where to park my bike, where to grocery shop, I know some of the good beers of the region, I brought in a mug/tea/and snacks for my school cubby, yeah I'm feeling at home.  

I feel like this is the first time in France that I've ever felt comfortable.  I'm not stressed about speaking French (I know I'm going to make mistakes), I know my way around, I know the places to shop and I'm working and pioneering so I have places to go and people to see.  My French is coming along, I can actually tell that people listen to me more because I have an accent, in fact a little girl the other day was staring at me and then said in french " you know with your accent I can hardly understand what you're saying...but I like you anyway" and even today in service a lady told me straight that she wasn't interested and that she was working so I tried to use the common French phrase 'sorry to have bothered you', I messed it up and she gave me a weird look so I replied to her 'I don't speak French well" and tried to say the phrase again.  I'm getting bold I tell you.  I need to remind my friends here to correct my French again, I think I make so many errors that it would be too tedious and heartbreaking for them.  

I wanted to hit on one point I really like about France, food and drink; not just food and drink but the 'food rituals' the way they go about eating and drinking here.  Ok. Example:

Petit-dejeuner 8h-9h (average by French standards)
-make espresso on stovetop-
Set the table: placemats, saucer/cup, small spoon, knife, bottle of water
Eat a small but rich breakfast of something sugery/or cheese/ biscuits or fruit (rarely any meat) 
Eat the best breakfast food ever of fresh bread with jam and sheep milk cheese (YUMM)

Dejeuner 12h-14h
Set table: tablecloth, plates/bowls, bottle of water, glass,knife, fork (ALWAYS eat with both knife and fork in hand eating is a two handed gentille action that maneuvers food gracefully into the mouth). 
Eat a meal consisting of raw grated carrots or beets, some type of salad, meat/main dish 
(Remove tablecloth)

Goutier 16h
Snack time-tea/coffee, chocolate (dark chocolate) and cookies (most people take sugar with their afternoon coffee 🤔)

Dîner 19h-21h
Set the table: tablecloth, plates, knife, fork, glass, bottle of water
Large meal: salad, raw veges, main dish, soup?, dessert (maybe yogurt) 

Avant se coucher 22h
A cup of herbal tea

(Optional) 
Aperitif/"apéro" 18h-20h
Before diner drinks (red wine excluded) regions have typical apéro drinks 
Cheese, crackers, cheese crackers, olives, chips...
IN FRANCE YOU NEVER EVER DRINK WITHOUT EATING- smart people

Always seated, always knife and fork in hand, placemats serve a purpose (you can clean up bread crumbs easier), finishing off with tea. Try lavender tea.  These habits bring the family together, keep you healthy, and are a must try for anyone who loves food.  


Comments

  1. I love your story about the little girl and for sharing your "food rituals." Great to have your insights.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chitis Cuisine

What to do in the event your wallet is stolen

La CAF- or complaining enough to get some money from the government