Avignon take 2

Short and sweet. 3 days.  Chez les Sheep.  Returning to aclimate to cold weather by traveling to the south of France to hang with the cool kids in the Avignon english group.  Trains are great👍🏼.  I'm telling ya after this 'sejour' in France I'm so comfortable now changing train stations, taking buses, planning out public transportation.  After getting into Lille at midnight on Wednesday I awoke bright and early to catch the ouigo to Paris and on to Avignon.  It was snowing as I got into the metro so I made an arrangement with Lille that I would come back only when the weather is warmer.  (I'm turning into a cold weather sissy because I don't have my puffy down parka) 4-5 hours later and poof you're in Avignon.  I made my way down to the mirror pools out front of the train station to send another location text to Daniel and Delia when they sneakily peaked around the front gate and scared me.  

They helped me lug my bag (full of beer bottles) into the car and it was off to the races.  A good thing to remember is in the north it's 2 kisses and the south it's 3 which can be akward because I think in the south they start on the right and in the north they start with the left cheek.  We drove to their new house in Entraigues, again with a beautiful view of Mont Ventoux.  I was greeted by the sniffing monster ironically named Lady.  We did what I love best talk/share/cook/eat-drink/laugh/meetings-service/ and friends.  The Avignon English group is always changing always full of amazing people, some (Phillipe and Françoise) from Lille English even.  Patrick and Anu are in Thailand other members have moved to other groups or to other countries.  We had some amazing study material this week (Abigail/ our speech/ a good talk) Jackie made us some delicious curry and we accidently ended up making apple crumble confit and nearly burning down the new house.  My face is now peeling because of the sun I got in Madeira and Jackie marveled at how slim I was staying this time, last time I gained 4kilos 👎🏼😳.  

Friday we went in service and I had a real conversation with an English speaking German lady which was really nice.  That night Daniel showed off his Breton skills and made some delicious crêpes of course accompanied with some strong cider.  Saturday we had Phillipe/Françoise/Martine and Jackie over for a nummy lunch of parmontier hachie.  It was a great time and quickly we cleaned up and headed out for service and the meeting.  I got to do the cart in Avignon, in a sweater, in the sun, with Veronique it was nice.  We got home and the evening was focused on 'za voice' "the voice" (much more popular in France than the US) with French singers as judges of course. Sunday morning was the sad packing ritual but of course my gracious hosts helped me pack a little lunch and accompanied me to the train station.  Once again 'I hate goodbyes' so I didn't say them.  Let's leave it on 'the next time I see you' basis.  It's always painful to leave but at least D&D really are planning on coming up to the cold north in April.  I have some big shoes to fill as a hostess 😁.   





Comments

  1. So glad you have become such a proficient traveler. And, the la bise comments N vs. S are spot on - so tricky!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chitis Cuisine

What to do in the event your wallet is stolen

La CAF- or complaining enough to get some money from the government