My Last Week


I hate goodbyes.  Goodbyes are crappy.  They are even more crappy when you've been surrounded by a select group of amazing people who have helped you, taught you, fed you, encouraged you, and have loved you like a surrogate family when you've been away.  This week started with a not so surprise going-away barbecue hosted for me.  It started as just an apéro->lunch but turned into a dinner as well.  I couldn't handle the love, they are way too nice.  Everyone brought something delicious to eat or drink.  We exchanged presents, mine was American chewing gum for them all (so they could pretend to have an American accent) and some t-shirts from the Midwest, they got me some really great thoughtful gifts; including a peanut chocolate cake knowing by this point that peanut butter is my weakness.  *There was much bitter sweet rejoicing*

Monday we biked over to see Jackie (we had started out going to the Pont du Gard but that didn't happen), Jasmine nearly died from biking exertion.  After surprising Jackie with a visit we went on our hike which this time ended with a visit to the winery at the end of the path, which just so happens to have amazing wine.  We bought two bottles which incited us to plan a meal together to drink those bottles (Swedish meatballs, green beans, mashed potatoes, cheese, nugat, avacado smoothies =yum).  She played some classical guitar for us and dropped us off back in Rochefort du Gard.  

Tuesday we went with Marion to see Aix en Provence, Cassis and les calanques.  We had a short tour by an eccentric guide ("this is important, why?!"), who made sure to tell us all of her qualifications from being a registered tour guide to being the archivist at the national museum of marble and so on.  We shopped around a tad, Aix is known for its shopping, and had lunch at an excellent find called "A Table" in a quiet corner.  Next we took a drive up the Route de Crete to the top of the cliff that looks down on Cassis, it was breathtaking view.  We walked through town, they got some awesome gelato and we drove a little further to take our 1 hour rock climbing hike to the calanques.  After our arduous journey we celebrated by jumping into the cold salty water and we swam for a while, it was beautiful.  Then we dried ourselves on some rocks nearby soaking up the sun and hiked back to the car to head home.  

Wednesday we went to the marché at Saint-Rémy de Provence as usual.  We shopped around, listened to the live music, talked with people, said a final goodbye to some friends and enjoyed the beautiful weather.  That night we returned and went swimming again and prepared/had one of the best meals/evening of conversation ever trying out those bottles of wine we had purchased while I forced deviled eggs apon everyone yet again trying to empty out my fridge, 'twas a perfect evening. 

Thursday was the pack everything day.  I was sad as expected but we managed to fit all of my goods into my original checked bag and carryon, although I spilled over into Jasmine's luggage, ending up with both of our bags at a perfect 23.0kg.  We cleaned the studio with gusto, I tied up some loose ends and we were done and ready to go.  We took the dog for a walk and we ended up in some overly ripe cherry orchards that were in desperate need of gleaning and Lady went running through some golden wheat fields.  We returned home gathered up the rest of our things, said goodbye again to Jackie and started our drive to Marseille.  By this time my lip was quivering, yep I could feel the water works a comin', we dropped our stuff off at the hotel, laughed at the tiny-ness of the room and were invited to eat with Daniel and Delia; thank goodness because we were starving and I wanted to spend more time with them.  Daniel choose an nice steak restaurant and he made sure to order some nice local wine, hinting that I would not be able to get stuff like this at home.  That poor restaurant, the water works that had been dormant for a week 'a came' and there was no holding them back. Titanic music was playing in the background, "what the heck!" I thought, Daniel quietly asked me if I had enjoyed my time in France and then boom I couldn't even reply "yes" I just started crying, they supportively allowed me to sniffle my way through dinner.  We drove back to the hotel and of course we said a sad farewell to each other, I will call us misty, teary and weepy.  After some time and the third hug each it was time for everyone to go, I threw my tissues in the trash on the way in and Jasmine and I settled at our spartan but cute dwelling, very thankful for a hot shower.  We set our alarm for 4:00am in order to catch our flight in the morning.









Comments

  1. Well put, Em. The meals with the people were the highlights for me. Getting to know everyone's personalities better. It was literally like being adopted into another family. So much love and thoughtfulness. I'm kind of glad I almost died on the bike ride.. Or else we might not have found and planned that wonderful wine night :) And seriously, that song at the restaurant. It was making it hard for me to swallow too.. "Near.. Far.. Whereeever you are!" What amazing friends and memories. I'm sure they miss you just as much as you miss them. Can't wait for you guys to be reunited again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chitis Cuisine

What to do in the event your wallet is stolen

La CAF- or complaining enough to get some money from the government