The Coast

Yesterday I got the chance to hitch a ride from a friend who was traveling to a city by the sea.  I actually didn't know it was by the coast, she had mentioned that she was going an hour away to pick up some plants, so pants and long sleeve shirt it was!  So we got into the car for the drive.  We took the A9 and passsed Montpelier and Beziers until we got to the small bay town called Bouzigues right across the bay from Sète, the weather reminded me of Florida.  They are known for their 'huitres et moules' (oysters and mussels).  Bouzigues is a super quiet town with sail boats and a great view of this beautiful dark blue bay where they harvest their oysters and mussels.  The whole town smelled like oysters, it was sunny and warm with a nice breeze, the waves were lapping up on the beach and I was loving it.  

We found a boat landing and we ran over and put our feet in the briny water.  I tried to go a tad deeper only to slip and almost fall on my face on the slimy moss that was covering the rocks.  It's hard to find places to go barefoot around here!-complains the girl who lives in the country.  I was so happy to be walking barefoot on a 'beach' that I didn't put my shoes on when we walked down the coastline.  Ten minutes later I stopped because I thought something had stuck to my foot; nope I had three large bleeding gashes that were collecting sand on the bottom of my foot.  Uh ohhhh.  I think I sliced my foot open when I slid on the rocks, probably over some sharp snail shells or something.  Someone handed me a tissue to wipe it up and then whispered 'you need to clean your foot up, your in France you could pick up the Black Plague if you're not careful...'  With that we were off again back to Avignon excited that the weather is getting so nice, we all want to go to the calanques near Marseille soon.  






And I had a geiko on my door

*also no photo but I have been tring out all different kinds of artichokes because they are in season right now, around here they have small purple artichokes.  The people in this area eat them because they are one of the vegetables known to clean your liver, just like asparagus and beets.  

Comments

  1. Emily!! You're always hurting yourself :( I hope you don't get the Black Plague. I really like these pics with the boats on the dock and blue sky. Looks beautiful this time of year! Idk how I feel about artichokes. I've had them a few times but they always seem kind of bland to me. But that's cool they are good for your liver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you got hurt (again), but it's also kind of awesome. I love how you're not afraid to get your hands dirty (or pull your back our on a bike ride, slice your hand on a greasy bike chain, cut your foot on sharp shells, etc.). Keep up the adventure. Your the kind of person Bob Dylan or Neal Young write songs about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chitis Cuisine

What to do in the event your wallet is stolen

La CAF- or complaining enough to get some money from the government